For those of you with Kansas ancestors don’t overlook using the Kansas State Historical Society – State Archives and Library located in Topeka, Kansas. The address and business hours are shown below:
Address and Telephone Number:
6425 SW 6th Avenue
Topeka, Kansas 66615
9 to 4:30 Tuesdays through Saturdays; closed Sundays, Mondays and state holidays
Records at this repository:
This repository has an excellent collection of records. Some of the things they have archived there include:
• County records on microfilm – This collection is varied for the different counties, depending on what each county has submitted. Some of the record types in this record group include, but are not limited to: marriage, naturalization, probate case files, wills, deeds, cemetery, school, poor house, civil and criminal court dockets and various other county government records.
• Marriage records database 1854-1861
• Newspapers from many counties and various time periods
• City Directories and telephone books
• Census records
• Military records
• Penitentiary records
• Sanborn Fire Maps for Kansas towns
• Other – check out their website
This group is also very helpful and for some records you may borrow microfilmed records through interlibrary loan by contacting your local library. Don’t overlook this excellent repository for your Kansas research!
The Kansas State Historical Society also has other locations around the state with a variety of things on display about Kansas. Be sure to plan to visit the sites closest to your ancestors.
Note also located at this site is the Kansas Museum of History – Also a very interesting place to visit to learn in general what your Kansas ancestors life was like!! Plan to visit both when you are in Topeka.