- Legacy also offers a free version of their popular software - http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/
- RootsMagic - also has a free version - http://www.rootsmagic.com/
- Ancestry.com - has an online family tree that users may record their family information
- MyHeritage: http://www.myheritage.com/?gclid=COH8kuOt0KECFQdS2godvSWxIA
- FamilyTreeGuide: http://www.familytreeguide.com/
There are several other excellent programs and online family tree sites.
The forms or the software will prompt you for the information you need to record about yourself and your parents. Once you fill in the blanks about yourself and your parents you will have already completed the first and second generations of your genealogy.
You are then ready to start collecting information from your family papers. Most families have some memorabilia and family scrapbooks or photo albums that help to provide genealogical information. Gather things like obituaries, wedding announcements, funeral cards, newspaper clippings, birth and death certificates, graduation announcements and other such papers.
Look through the family papers and record as much information as is given in the documents for the appropriate family member. Once you have done this you will have a very good start on your family history. Be sure to record the information on the forms available at the above websites or on your computer in the genealogy software program or online website.